Wednesday, August 12, 2009

How to make an Em Monster smoothie

This is how I start my morning every day.  This morning's contained a banana, rice milk, almond butter, protein powder, Green Super Food powder, 2 leaves of red chard, and 1/2 cup frozen organic mixed berries (hence the purple color, which was much more vibrant in person).  A smoothie with any greens in it is usually called a Green Monster, so one with my personal touch is the Em Monster!  I usually drink this during my commute (7-7:30 am) and it keeps me satisfied until my 11 am lunch with all the protein, fiber, and healthy fats.  The Green Super Food powder gives it a rich, chocolatey taste and the banana masks the protein powder really well.  My goal is to switch up the ingredients daily to ensure maximum nutritional variety- and to prevent boredom!  And yes, the recipe doubles easily for Friday through Sunday when Tyler is home.
In a blender, combine:
1 banana (fresh or frozen)
1 cup organic, fortified milk (hemp, almond, rice, or coconut)
8-10 large ice cubes
2 scoops brown rice protein powder (for a total of 24 grams of protein!)
1 scoop Green Super Food powder
Add one of the following:
2 Tbsp raw almond butter
2 Tbsp raw tahini (sesame seed butter)
2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
Add as many of the following as are on hand:
2 leaves fresh kale or chard
handful of fresh or frozen spinach
1/2 cup fresh or frozen fruit (blueberries, mango, raspberries, and strawberries are the best)
1/4-1/2 avocado
1/4 cup coconut milk yogurt
Pour into a very large glass and mmmmm.... enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
-Em

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...