Monday, September 14, 2009

31 Weeks!

Today we're 31 weeks!  While there's a lot of growth happening right now in my belly, it's mostly adding on to things that are already there- creating brain connections, putting on fat, and continuing lung development.  I thought this excerpt from whattoexpect.com's summary of 31 weeks was interesting, though:
Movin' on up at 31 weeks pregnant, your uterus can now be felt four inches above your belly button. This means that your uterus is pushing all the internal organs that used to be there somewhere else. So your stomach feels like it's in your chest and your lungs feel like… hmmm… they don't even feel like they're there anymore — do they? That could explain why you're feeling a little spare on air lately, don't you think?     Indeed, in an effort to provide spacious-enough accommodations for your soon-to-be bouncing baby boy or girl, your growing uterus has compressed your lungs, limiting their ability to fully expand when you take a breath and causing you to feel like you've just run a marathon when you've only climbed a flight of stairs.
Just so you know, four inches above my belly button is pretty high!  We're up into my ribcage at this point.  It's been really interesting lately to feel Baby Girl's kicks on opposite sides of my stomach simultaneously.  Feeling her moving up here and down there all at once really shows how big she's getting.  That reminds me of a conversation that Tiana and I had this weekend while we were looking at infant hats at the local art festival.  She said, "Don't you think the baby's head is going to be too big to fit into this hat?"  to which I responded, "Let's not talk about how big the baby's head is going to be."  All I could think of was her head crowning.  Yup, let's not talk about that any more for now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
-Em

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...