Wednesday, June 10, 2009

New Developments!

Today, I felt the baby kick for the first time!  I was driving to work when I felt two little jabs that were definitely the baby.  It felt like a finger poking me from the inside out about 3 inches below my belly button.  I may have been able to feel the movements more clearly because I'm wearing tighter pants than normal (my last pair of non-stretch, non-maternity pants) and the waistband was tight over the baby (they only fit because they button below my bump!).  At the time, I was listening to the radio and One Thing Leads to Another by The Fixx was playing, so maybe baby was digging the classic 80's music and dancing along.  It has a pretty good beat.  While the baby has all the physical developments in place to hear already, no one has actually proven that babies can hear outside noises this early from the uterus- though this is about the time most people believe that starts, so maybe our little one just has an ear for groovy 80's beats.  Or maybe I had been sitting driving long enough for him/her to get antsy (is it starting already?!). 
It was a great feeling, both physically and emotionally.  I love the reassurance that the baby is okay- literally "alive and kicking."  It also makes a sometimes surreal-feeling experience feel very real and makes me feel more connected to the baby growing inside of me and not just the title of "pregnant."  I'm looking forward to Tyler being able to feel the kicks from outside so he can experience the same physical proof of life.  In a few weeks we'll have to sit down for an hour or two with some 80's tunes and jam with his hands on my belly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
-Em

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...