Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Ask Mama Em- Laundry

Hi MamaEm!
The question about hair products sparked this email! I'm expecting our first child in 7 weeks and am starting to look for all those last minute (aka actually useful, not another cute onesie!) items. I'm trying to find an organic/gentle laundry soap for all of his clothes/blankets etc. Do you have a brand you like? I'd love something that is somewhat easy to find as I don't really want to have to order online.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I love following your blog - just gets me more and more excited to meet our little one!
All my best,


Sarah


Hi Sarah!  Congrats on your upcoming baby!  Pregnancy is such a magical time.  Hope you're still feeling well as you continue to count down the days.  You are so close!




I included some info on Charlie's laundry detergent hidden in my pre-baby post about diapers, but it's been quite a while since then.  I still love, love, love Charlie's!  I use the liquid detergent, but it comes in powder form.  I don't know where you're located, but you can find a retailer on their website.  I totally understand what you mean about not wanting to have to order it online, but one of the gallon bottles of this stuff lasts us months (we still have 3/4 left in our second bottle since we started using it in October- so I'd say it will last a family of 3, cloth diapering included, about 5 months!).  The cost of shipping will be more than made up for by the savings in product.  I did the math, and this is by far the cheapest option I've found.  I love it when the safest, most natural option is also the cheapest!

We don't use any fabric softener because it's so toxic, but we do use dryer balls.  They got us through a dry Chicago winter with minimal static, which impressed me.  I love that the Nellie's dryer balls have the option of scenting the laundry with natural lavender essential oil and nothing else, but we don't even keep our balls refilled.  Now that I've weaned myself off of super-scented soaps, the smell of clean laundry smells like just that- clean, unscented fabric.

Wishing you a joyful, quick birth!

Best,

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
-Em

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...