Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Angelic Organics Season Opener

Ines putting our stroller to use transporting veggies

Last week we received the first delivery of our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture, also known as a farm share) from Angelic Organics.  We're splitting a box with Ines, Randall, and Marquise, and even sharing a box we barely made it through our produce the past week.  So far, most of our vegetables have been green- broccoli, kale, chard, scallions, zucchini, lettuce, scapes, basil, bok choy, oregano, and this week, kohlrabi, cauliflower, and beets, my favorite!  It's so much fun to open my fridge to see so much fresh, organic  produce waiting to be eaten.  I've dehydrated a good portion of it, my favorite being spinach using this recipe for raw spinach chips.    I'm going to juice a lot of this week's, since that's my preferred method for consuming things like beet greens and broccoli stems.  I also have plans to make zucchini noodles with pesto (shave the zucchini to make "noodles", sautee lightly).  I think part of the reason I like receiving our share so much each week is that it reminds me of Iron Chef with a box of secret ingredients.  


What are you making this week?  Any brilliant ideas for kohlrabi? 


By the way, if you're in the Chicago area, Angelic Organics still has 12 week shares available thanks to the beautiful growing season we're having here!  It's fun to think like a farmer and appreciate all our recent rain.

2 comments:

  1. Oy, the kohlrabi! The bane of any CSA-er! We tried SO hard to make different things with kohlrabi: kohlrabi slaw, kohlrabi "fries," kohlrabi pizza (used it as a topping), etc. I am sure other people love it, and I would be willing to give it another go if a recipe looked really enticing, but, man, that kohlrabi is hard for us to get through in the Shevlin household! Good luck, and let us know if you come up with something delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last season, I made a decent refrigerator-style pickled kohlrabi that was good, but mostly I ate it plain with dip. Perhaps spinach dip, using fresh spinach? Could be yummy... I'll let you know what we like this year :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
-Em

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...