Thursday, July 14, 2011

To Tye, at 20 months

Dear Tye,


Happy 20 months!  We got together with some of your friends and their moms the other day, and everyone agreed you had grown over the weekend.  Perhaps you knew you were coming up on a big milestone and felt the need to rise to the occasion.  Though for me, recognizing your growth often requires changes like loosening your seatbelt straps or realizing you've outgrown another pair of shoes (both of which happened this week), I still have plenty of moments when I just stand in awe of you and how big you've become.  The other day, I had one of those moments in front of the bathroom mirror when I glimpsed at how long your body is now in comparison to mine.  Do you realize that you're almost 5 times your birth weight now?  


Last night, your Uncle Mark and I took you to the playground nearby.  You ran all over, your legs moving incredibly quickly as your body rotated side to side with each stride.  Though the swings may still be your favorite attraction at the playground, you now spend most of your time on climbing equipment, honing your skills.  I trust you with familiar equipment enough that I can sit and watch you from a little distance, giving you freedom to explore.  Tonight at the playground, two police officers stood chatting near the entrance to the park for a few minutes.  You continued to run around and be your normal jovial self, skipping from one place to another, chattering to yourself and giggling with each new activity.  As the officers left, one nodded to you and said, "Thank you.  I needed to fill up on some nice."  


That's just how you are, Tye.  You fill peoples' days with nice.  Whether we're at the grocery store or just walking Mico, your bright smile and cheerful "Hi!" coax happy responses from everyone we meet.  I appreciate the reminder that even the grimmest-looking passerby may just be waiting for a reason to smile, and that anyone can make another person's morning- even their day- with just a smile and a greeting.  Most of all, I'm forever grateful to have your cheer injected into my day.  I'm amazed by how a ten minute gigglefest with you can change my perspective on things.  Seriously, who knew tickling you could make laundry piles appear smaller and responsibilities seem less daunting?  


You amaze me, Tye.  You keep me running, guessing, learning, and wondering.  I'm so grateful to be on this journey with you.  I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you.


Love, 
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
-Em

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...