Thursday, December 31, 2009

Easy as Pie (Mix)

So I'll admit straight out that this recipe for amazingly delicious brownies was created by accident. But it was one of those good mistakes where the outcome is better than the original plan! I started making the Hungry Girl brownie mix variation in which the mix is combined with 1 cup canned solid pack pumpkin instead of the oil, water, and eggs. This method is obviously healthier with the pumpkin delivering added fiber, calcium, potassium, and several other vitamins and minerals without adding fat, and using a dairy-free mix like Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge (my favorite mix of all time), it's also an easy vegan recipe.
Today, though, my lack of sleep must have gotten to me and somehow I misread the label on the pumpkin can. Instead of using solid pack pumpkin, I used pumpkin pie mix. Of course, I didn't think anything of it when the pumpkin was softer than it usually is. I just added it anyway. When the brownies came out of the oven, they smelled heavenly... and bit spicy. That was when I finally checked the can. I tried one, and it was delicious! The spices add a complexity to the brownies that takes them above and beyond the run of the mill. I seriously plan to do this again, adding cayenne pepper next time, too. In case you like the recipe format:
So-Easy-It's-Like-Cheating Mexican Brownies
1 box brownie mix
1 generous cup pumpkin pie mix
Mix and cook according to package directions. It's that easy! And so extremely delicious...
I made mini cupcakes with the brownie batter (15 minutes at 350), but the batter also cooks well in larger pans following the regular cooking directions on the box. My mini cupcakes will be topped with Pillsbury Easy Frost Velvety Cream Cheese No-Fuss Frosting, the kind in the can that looks like Cheez Whiz. It's also vegan, and a huge time saver. Plus, I can put down the can at any point to feed or change or cuddle with Tye. She has been watching me, listening to my play-by-play cooking monologue, which eventually put her to sleep in her vibrating rocker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
-Em

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...