Tuesday, June 5, 2012

To Etta, at 5 months

Dear Etta,


My little baby is five months old today!  You are now affectionately well-known by everyone as the "chill," "quiet," "relaxed," "happy" baby.  Just today, as we walked around the park- you in the carrier- with a neighbor, she exclaimed, "Wow, Etta is so quiet!  I completely forgot she was there!"  


But don't worry- I don't forget.  You get lots- and lots- and LOTS of kisses from me, all day long. You receive so many kisses that you already know how to exchange them!  When I hold you in front of me and pucker my lips, you lean in with your face towards mine.  Some day far away, you'll learn to close your mouth when you do that, but for now, it's so super sweet that my heart just explodes with each drooly smooch.  You seem to be learning how to hug, too.  I know it's a natural protective instinct for you to want to hold on to us tightly, but now that you can control your arms a bit better, you clearly try to wrap them around our necks, especially when you're excited about seeing us.  Tye might receive most of those hugs, actually.  What a lucky sister.


You are now really good at holding toys and grabbing.  Everything.  I'm still caught off guard occasionally as you reach for my mug of (warm, not hot) coffee, or the keys in my hand.  Your favorite toys so far are your Sophie the Giraffe for chewing and the crinkly felt square that makes crunchy-paper noises when you squish it.  When you sit on my lap while I'm on the computer, you now reach for the keys and often hit the space or arrow buttons for me.  Before I know it, you'll be typing whole emails.


As for other milestones, you're racking them up.  Not only are you rolling from tummy to back and back to tummy, but you're also starting to sit on your own.  You're only sitting for a few seconds at a time, but you are just about done with your little green rocking chair.  Today, Tye and I watched as you sat up from the reclined position in your chair, reaching for your polka-dotted socks.  This past week, your feet have finally captured your attention.  They haven't quite made it into your mouth yet, but that's just a matter of days (if not minutes).  


Your hair is thinning and lightening a little bit.  Your sweet, cubby face is maturing and no longer looks like a newborn's.  You sleep less during the day- not a bad thing, but when you're in the carrier and your head finally rests on my chest and you snuggle in a little closer to me, that feeling is even more precious now.  Oh, how I cherish my time with you.  Happy five months, little Etta.  I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you.


Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
-Em

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...