Friday, June 12, 2009

It's about time for a photo...

Me at 17 weeks, 2 days.  
Now that my belly sticks out further than my chest (even in its larger state!), it's pretty hard to hide.  I've pretty well given up on hiding it at work every day as I did for so long.  Even though my team of coworkers knows I'm pregnant, none of my students' parents do because I don't yet have a definite plan as to what I'm doing after the birth.  That is, none of my parents knew until this week. 
Most of our kids come to school using a private service run by a cab company.  Tuesday, one of the drivers asked one of the Teaching Assistants if "there was a baby in there."  She then sweetly went out of her way to congratulate me... and also to tell the student's parents when they got her home.  Not a big deal since this student is graduating our program in August and so my maternity leave won't affect her.  Yesterday, we had a field trip to the Chicago Botanic Gardens and, knowing that parents would be attending, I wore the baggiest, least maternity-style clothes I have.  Still, one parent reportedly told her mother (also on the trip), "If I didn't know any better, I'd guess Miss Emily was pregnant."  Her mother, of course, said, "No, no, no..."  but she asked my supervisor about it today anyway while they were meeting.  They were meeting because today was her son's last day before the family moves away, so similarly, any maternity leave won't affect them in the slightest.  She did laugh, though, when I told her that over a month ago, her son pointed to my belly out of the blue and stated, "There's a baby in there."  Yes, there is, and it's getting more and more visibly obvious every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!
-Em

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...